Faculty of Eastern Medicine Introduction
The mission of the faculty is to produce graduates having knowledge of Eastern Medicine using latest technology for diagnosis and modern methods for the management of diseases and health care. Graduates are provided with comprehensive knowledge and their clinical skills are developed. Advanced learning in Eastern Medicine will lead to M.Phil. and Ph.D. degree programs.
The major achievement of Faculty of Eastern Medicine is the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between Ibn Sina Institute of Tibb, Johannesburg, University of Western Cape, Cape Town, South Africa and with University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan. In order to develop and operate academic research programs for the advancement of Eastern Medicine, the faculty offers the following undergraduate degree programs:
-- Bachelor of Eastern Medicine and Surgery (Regular – 5 Years)
-- Bachelor of Eastern Medicine and Surgery (Condensed – 3 Years)
-- M. Phil and Ph. D programs are also offered on regular basis
Accreditation by National Bodies:
All the degree programs offered by the Faculty are accredited by the National Council for Tibb, Ministry of Health, Government of Pakistan and by the Higher Education Commission, Pakistan.
Admissions to the B.E.M.S. degree programs are given strictly on the basis of merit. The short-listed candidates are interviewed by an interview board for the final selection.
How to apply?
Following documents must be enclosed with the application form. Incomplete forms are not entertained.
- Two attested copies of the following documents:
- F.Sc. (Pre-Medical) certificate, or equivalent
- Matriculation certificate
- F.Sc. Marks Sheet
- Matriculation Marks Sheet
- Provisional certificate of the last institution attended
- Any other diploma/certificate
- National identity card (if candidate’s NIC is not available, father’s/ guardian’s copy should be submitted)
- Two attested passport size recent photographs
No student shall be permitted to appear in any examination unless he/she has attended 85% of the lectures, demonstrations, tutorials, practical and clinical work for both in-patients and out-patients departments.
Shifa-ul-Mulk Memorial Hospital
A 50-bed hospital has been established at Main Campus, especially for the clinical training of the students of Unani Medicine and for conducting research on medicinal plants. The Shifa-ul-Mulk memorial Hospital has also been commissioned to serve as a Family Medical Care and Services providing center. This is a well-equipped teaching hospital providing twenty four hours free community health services to thirty seven villages surrounding Hamdard University in the vicinity of Bund Murad.
The clinical training of Bachelor of Eastern Medicine students starts from third year onwards at Shifa-ul-Mulk Memorial Hospital, Florence Hospital, Naimat Begum Child Care Unit, Brooks Health & Educational Foundation, Abbasi Shaheed Hospital. Students acquire clinical skills under the guidance of experienced physicians and specialists and learn to deal with emergencies and attend different wards. Students are provided with an opportunity whereby they gain modern medical knowledge and experience and become aware of integration of their Unani Medicine knowledge with that of modern clinical expertise.
Unani Medicine continues to be practised in many of the Islamic countries today. The countries where it has to some extent, enjoyed an official status are: India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and South Africa. In Pakistan, in the mid sixties, the government under the then President ordered the official registration of Hakims. Tibb enjoys wider public acceptability in the countries of Middle East, Far East, Europe and North America. In the latter areas, resurgence is being observed in the vogue of herbal medicine.
B.E.M.S. (Unani) graduates can start their own practice by establishing their own clinics and providing healthcare services to the people. They can offer effective clinic and patient communication and ensure responsible clinical practises. As the contemporary healthcare requirements need complementary and Alternative Medicine as an integral part of therapeutic discipline. B.E.M.S. (Unani) graduates can provide consultation at various hospitals in the field of disease prevention to improve the standards of health care. B.E.M.S. (Unani) graduates can also be of value to herbal medicine industry, where they can apply results of their research and evaluating techniques to supplement scientific and patient-related efficacy in herbal medicine. Graduates can be a part of relevant teaching and research activities at various universities and institutions of national and international levels.
Currently B.E.M.S. (Unani) graduates are employed by the following institutions/ organizations:
- Aga Khan University Hospital Karachi
- Al-Rahim Hospital, Karachi
- Ajmal Laboratories
- AM Sales And Services
- Ashraf Laboratories
- Atco Laboratories
- Attiya Hospital Malir
- Ausaf Clinic Karachi
- BMA Pharma
- Brooks Pharmaceutical
- City Pharma (Pvt) Ltd.
- Darul Sehat Hospital Karachi
- District Hospitals Govt. of Punjab,
- Feroz Ajmali Dawakhana Multan
- Florence Hospital North Nazimabad Karachi
- Gerishon International Karachi
- Govt. Islamia University Bahawalpur
- Green Pharma International
- Greenwich University London
- Hamdard Foundation Pakistan
- Hamdard Laboratories (Waqf)Pakistan
- Hamdard University
- Helix Pharma Private Ltd.
- Herbal Life (Pvt) Ltd.
- Herbion Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd.
- Herbuy Laboratories Karachi
- Ibn Sina Institute for Tibb.
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- Imam Khumeni Hospital Malir
- International Herbal Medical
- Complex and Darushifa Rawalpindi
- Kohat University, Kohat
- London Metropolitan University
- Marhaba Laboratories
- Medics Laboratories
- Memon Hospital Karachi
- Mumta Jee Hospital Karachi
- Naimat Begum Hospital
- National Medical Centre Karachi
- Patel Hospital Karachi
- Qarshi Industries (Pvt) Ltd.
- Qasmi Clinics Karachi
- Qasmi Tibbia College Karachi
- Raheem Hospital Karachi
- Scure Pharma (Pvt) Ltd.
- Seelani Welfare Trust
- Siemens Pakistan
- Telenor Pakistan
- Trimax Hospital Karachi
- Toyama University Japan
- University of Azad Kashmir,
- Zain-ul-Abdin Hospital Karachi
- Ziauddin Medical University