Faculty of Pharmacy was established in 1997 following the guidelines of the Founder Chancellor of Hamdard University, Shaheed Hakim Mohammed Said. l In its early phase 1997-2001, the faculty developed Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programs in collaboration with Dr. Hafiz Muhammad Ilyas Institute of Pharmacology and Herbal Sciences.
In the light of recommendations of Pharmacy Council of Pakistan and Higher Education Commission, the faculty has undertaken, Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) Program in 2005, extending to five years exhaustive education and training in community oriented Clinical Pharmacy, Hospital Pharmacy, Forensic Pharmacy Pharmaceutical Marketing and Industrial Pharmacy. l The aim of the faculty is to provide high quality education with a commitment to produce competent Pharmacists and highly skilled / professional persons to care the patients and also become the integral part of their healthcare system both nationality and internationally.
l Serene, peaceful and pollution-free environment, away from the clutter and clamor of the city.
- Seminar library backed by Pakistan`s largest library, Bait al- Hikmah, with more than half a million books, manuscripts and international linkages.
- Fully equipped-labs.
- Separate hostel facilities for boys and girls for up-country and foreign students.
- A modern cafeteria catering to the Culinary tastes of students and their guests.
- Ambulance service available in case of emergency.
- Pick and drop facility provided at subsidized rates to students from all parts of Karachi.
- Internships and placements arranged at national and multinational Pharmaceutical Industries.
Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm. D.)
Duration of course: 5 years Intake July - August (Once in a year)
- Admission test + Interview
M. Phil. / Ph. D. Program
The Faculty of Pharmacy, Hamdard University is the largest private sector University having three full professors and has its very active research programs and for M. Phil. / Ph. D. degrees which have been approved by HEC and PCP. The main areas of research are the Chemical, Pharmacological and Toxicological studies of plant-based drugs and pharmacy practice. Numbers of students have obtained M. Phil. / Ph. D. degrees. Currently several students are pursuing research studies under the guidance of highly qualified and experienced teachers. The findings of these studies have been abstracted journals of national and international repute. This output has become possible due to the availability of modern, sophisticated, sensitive equipments and liberal grants for the research materials.
As per HEC and PCP rules.
Pharm. D. degree holders
- Can assume important role in pharmaceutical industry, hospital practice, nuclear pharmacy, Clinical practice and Pharmaceutical Marketing.
- Can act as drug information specialist.
- Are suitable for any executive job in health care systems and Pharmaceutical Industry.
- Have promising prospects in medical transcription services.
- May go for self-employment such as drug marketing or retail Pharmacy.
- May become part of drug related Government Management.
We regularly arrange various hands on training workshops and technical lectures for our students, along with formal education in Pharmacy. Due to quality teaching, focusing on the latest information, provided by our highly competent and motivated faculty; knowledge level of our graduates is much better than what is expected from a fresh graduate.
This is reflected by high numbers of our pharmacy graduates serving various multinational and local pharmaceutical industries, hospitals and teaching institutions. Due to its state-of-the art facilities, Doctor of pharmacy graduates develops all the competencies for the requirements of job and serving in Middle East including Saudi Arabia, and other developing and developed countries of the world.